Friday, December 28, 2007

What Is A Culture?

__________________________________________________
Culture‘(a) The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought. (b) These patterns, traits, and products considered as the expression of a particular period, class, community, or population (c) These patterns, traits, and products considered with respect to a particular category, such as a field, subject, or mode of expression: (d) The predominating attitudes and behavior that characterize the functioning of a group or organization.’ (American Heritage Dictionary)

Whether we want to admit it or not, each one of us is acculturated to some extent. Many of us find that hard to believe about ourselves, but nevertheless it is true. We are greatly influenced by our surroundings, its preferences, bias’ and fashions, and all the unspoken notions it has. We are as ‘American’ as the next red-blooded person and pretty darn proud of it at that!

But what about a secondary, or sub-, culture? Are we not just as influenced by that? Do we not allow secondary influences, sub-culture influences, to manipulate our way of thinking and doing things? Should we? How important or unimportant are cultural influences? If they’re of utmost importance then how can we explain the people who aren’t present or influenced by that same culture? If they’re of little importance then why do we afford so much attention to all the idiosyncrasies of our culture?

These questions are all finding their way into my head as I find myself gradually moving away from a sub-culture that has defined all I’ve ever known. As easy as the answers seem to the head, the heart finds itself attached to preferences, ideas, notions and bias’ which are simply cultural. This does not pose any particular problem to the third-person bystander, but to me it causes quite a dilemma. I tend to like things the way I’ve always done them.

Fine, you say, continue doing things the same way. That sounds easy enough, right? Wrong! Wrong for a multiplicity of reasons, not the least of which is that causes confusion among my peers. You see, this leads us directly back to the question of culture’s importance. Those people whom I find myself surrounded by now have little to no understanding of my cultural background. For me to naively assume that my little cultural preferences are the absolute only way to accomplish any given end leads to great confusion as I try to fellowship and cooperate with my given peer group. Also, if cultural preferences are of little importance outside of that particular culture then there’s no inherent reason to impose my bias on my peers.

This is all well, fine and good to realize until………..

I’ve concluded that the litmus test of culture’s influence on my heart lies directly between me and my children. I’m ok to make a few cultural diversions. I’m cool to change a few things in an attempt to better (presumably) my life experience. I’m totally fine to leave a measure of cultural preferences behind, but the idea of my children growing up with little, or no, understanding or appreciation for that same culture that I love so well is a rather bitter pill for me to swallow. By this I’ve concluded that my heart is so acculturated that it is almost beyond hope of purification.

Let me say it a little clearer, I have idolized a culture (sub-culture) to the point that it hurts profusely as I tear it out of my heart. And further, I can hardly bear the thought of my children not seeing this same culture as the second most important thing in their life.

Clearly put, I am an idolator………………………….now, we’re glad each one of you was able to come to this blog, and we have many reasons to be thankful, will one of you please use the liberty put forth and (post a comment).
__________________________________________________

8 comments:

Sam Garber said...

*every head lowered, all eyes raised*

liberty...

liberty...

liberty on my part...

I prefer you...

You've come along way baby!

Huh? Oh . . . but you're getting older, so much older...

I long for those young boy days...

You mean before you had to comment?

Yeah . . . but really, be free, lead us in commentary...

Anonymous said...

Wow! I had this just discussion (to some extent) last night. My thoughts exactly. I have a fear of tearing it out, so I try to come up with excuses as to why I cannot or will not let it go. On the other hand, is it really that bad. It's kinda like a modern-day Romans 7. Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

*clears throat**re-clears throat*

Okay, let’s comment…

Dear Aaron, hallowed be thy blog…

We present before you just now our petitions realizing we are but dust and ashes…

Roses are red, violets are blue, I love spectra . . . I don’t know…

First of all I want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to comment.

Secondly I want to express the appreciation we all feel for having seen and smelt the impending spiritual nourishment this post is bound to articulate.

Thirdly, somehow, if not commented against your most acculturated will, I wish to lift up, a. (the hands) and b. (the hearts) of those who prepared the same. The said hands and hearts know only too well what all went into this and they deserve a blessing just now…

Fourthly, if there remains a blessing of trigger point therapy and myofascial release for the lower legs, ankles, and feet correspondent to the aforementioned hands and hearts, that would be greatly appreciated all around, because we all know that the stress of the lower leg while standing for hours dicing the various components of a salad or kneading our much needed bread deserves to be mentioned along with the oft mentioned hearts and hands.



Fiftiethly, we apologize for any reheating or re-chilling that may have become obligatory to the hands, hearts, and lower legs due to our oft coming. In Google’s name, and for Yahoo’s sake, aaaaaamen.

RAM said...

Been there, doing that.

brother_barabbas said...

methinks that anon comment has the 'smelting' of hba of mo-town..................cute kid, btw!!

Looking Upward said...

What culture will your grandchildren idolize to the consternation of your great-grandchildren?

How do you get off the cycle?

Is that Roman's 7 Branton?

brother_barabbas said...

I think the Romans 7 reference was simply the 'I do what I wish I didn't do and don't do what I wish I would' phrase.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Interesting. I can relate, just a little. Though I'm not at all a sentimental person, I have to admit that I looked around this Christmas and thought how very different it was than the way I grew up. Couldn't decide whether it bothered me or not. In some ways, maybe... It's easy to throw out the good with the bad, sometimes.

I wonder, though, about your comment about "ripping it out of my heart." I've never felt that to be necessary. Do you mean that you actually still sometimes want to cling to the idolatry?

Just be careful not to get idolatry confused with heritage. Heritage is okay, and even if some of it's bad, it helped to shape you into what you are, so God used it for good.