Thursday, December 27, 2007

Joel Osteen

__________________________________________________
Did anyone else watch the interview Larry King did with Joel Osteen last night? I just happened into a restaurant with a group of men around 9:20 and it was on. One of these men (in particular) couldn't stop singing Joel's accolades. Admittedly, I had never had much personal exposure to Joel, but last night's show didn't impress me any more than I expected it to. Check this:

KING: The book is "Become a Better You: Seven Keys to Improving Your Life Every Day". It's published by Free Press, and three million first printing. That's the most ever in that publishing company's history. Our guests are Joel Osteen, its author, and his wife Victoria. And, OK, would Britney Spears be helped by this book? What do you make of that whole -- that culture thing?

J. OSTEEN: Well, I think it's easy to get delusioned maybe is the word just with all of that fame and notoriety at such an early age. And sure, I think Britney Sears can be helped by that -- by this book. I think anybody could because it's the principles of the bible. And I think that she's -- these are good people at heart. And they just need some good guidance and good people speaking into their lives. They have got so much pressure and so much, you know, confusion in their lives. But, you know, anybody -- anybody can come up higher, and I believe she can come out of this and still live a great life.

KING: Yes. That's what many think, that this whole group, these youngsters, are basically good.

V. OSTEEN: Oh, yes.

J. OSTEEN: Oh, yes.

KING: They've just had too much, too soon.

J. OSTEEN: Well, I think so. I know Britney's been to church before. I've heard reports. And I believe down deep they love the lord. It's just, you know, things pull you away, and it's easy to make bad decisions in life.

V. OSTEEN: That's why it's so important to, you know, surround yourself with people who can speak good things into in your life. And that's one of the things Joel tells the congregation when he gives, you know, an altar call every Sunday. He says, you know what? Bring your friends to church. Don't let them pull you down. You know, call them up, and you bring them to church. So, you know, it is important. And that's what we talk about all the time, get around good people. It influences your life.

(Did anyone see a problem with any of that? Big deal, Britney Spears has been to church. Is that going to sanctify her somehow? And is that all that matters, that we 'love the lord deep down'? What about all the confess me before men and keep my words stuff Jesus said?)

KING: Do you have any particular position on -- I'm sure there's gay members of your church.

J. OSTEEN: Oh, I'm sure there are. Our church is open to anybody. I mean, we are there to help them and give them encouragement and hope. I think the last thing we're supposed to do is put up walls and say, if you're not perfect, you can't come to my church.

KING: Because you know there are members of your church -- for example, the late Jerry Falwell was a classic example of someone who really raked at gays and lesbians.

J. OSTEEN: Yes. You know what? There are different callings. I can't fault anybody. I mean, I didn't know Jerry Falwell, but I believe I know his sons, and they are great people. But there are different callings for different things. I think sometimes, you know, God gives us different messages. But mine is about, you know, giving people hope and...

(Well said, Brother Joel, the last thing we're supposed to do is put up walls. However, the first thing we're supposed to do is call sin, sin!! Clearly Jerry Falwell DID have a different message. He had a message of hope beyond their sin, not within it!)

KING: We're back with the Osteens. Is this -- is this true, that you once exhorted women in the audience to shop at Victoria's Secret to help their marriage?

J. OSTEEN: Oh, well, that was -- that's probably true. I think the whole...

KING: That's why you're smiling all the time.

(At least he got something right, eh? I guess you can't win them all, but at least he's on the right track here.........................*rolls eyes*)
__________________________________________________

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Groan. I read a few chapters of one of his books once, and that was enough. Bleagh.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am not sure what to think about Mr. Osteen. I think getting wrapped up/intrigued by one minister can be a dangerous thing. I tend to stick to the Word and tools that will help me better understand the Word for now. :D