Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Explanation

__________________________________________________
Due to some recent communications (phone calls, emails, personal conversations) I feel somewhat compelled to explain my current situation.

As many of you know (all 3 of you who actually read this blog) I have been unemployed for the last 2 months. During this time I have been able to find temporary odd jobs to generate a small amount of income; however it has been substantially less than the necessary amount to fulfill our monthly obligations. Nevertheless, God is faithful!

Also during this time I have turned down 2 job offers. This concerns some people. Perhaps you have even been concerned about, or confused by, these decisions. While I understand I am under no obligation to defend my decisions, I'm compelled to explain them. About one month after MulchPlus of Ohio, Inc laid me off as office manager they called me wondering if I would be willing to come back to work for them in a new position. This position would be outside sales. Upon investigation, though, I found that they still had full intention of closing the company down through liquidation or by selling out no later than September 2009. It seemed extremely irresponsible for me to jump on a sinking ship in hopes of a successful rescue. Consequently I declined the offer. Some criticized this decision. Renita and I, however had mutual peace with the decision and we moved forward!

A short time later I received a call for an interview with Health Markets. The first interview was more of an information session, but when I left I had more questions than answers. Nevertheless I was excited by what I viewed as opportunities! Shortly thereafter I received a second, follow-up interview. During this interview I was sold on all the benefits and perks of becoming their 'agent' and asked when I would like to start. Any reference to the 'over 100 products and services' was vague and non-specific. I probed deeper into the details, finding the details hard to uncover. Then one day Renita specifically prayed (unbeknownst to me) that we would be clearly shown whether this was a right decision. In a matter of a few short hours I uncovered a myriad of 'red flags' through some online searches and again, I declined the offer.

Still I'm unemployed. Still I have monthly payments, mortgages, bills, and children who need fed. God is still faithful! I trust my 'prayer requests' aren't seen as complaints, but as what they are. I hope my declining of two offers aren't viewed as me being unreasonable but as following what I believe to be the Holy Spirit's lead. I beg each of you (all 3) to join me in praying for the right opportunity; one in which my needs will be supplied WHILE I bring God ultimate glory! I know you are praying and I thank you already!

If, however, you happen to see obvious blind-spots in my job search I trust you will care for me enough to pull me aside and point them out!
__________________________________________________

7 comments:

Kati said...

I can't believe anyone who truly cares for you and your family would expect you to jump on board the 'sinking ship' or affiliate yourself with a 'questionable' company. If God has not given you the green light with either of these options, then you have only one choice, which is to keep praying and keep hitting the pavement. There is no shame in that and no need to explain your choice to anyone. He is the Great Provider whether we are currently employed or not. (And I've seen your children at church; they don't look to be starving.)

Know that I am praying for your family.

HE IS FAITHFUL.

Arlene said...

No explanation necessary. We are SO in the same boat. Dan is trying hard to find work in his field. He has had an interview with a "Stop & Rob" type of store as a beginning entry clerk. He took the interview because my Dad thought it was a manager entry. We wait and pray for income. We are thankful for the few hours given me by the post office and we are extrememly blessed by those who have encouraged us with gifts of love. Be strong and of a good courage, son of the FATHER. We have never seen the righteous forsaken.

Matthew said...

I saw at least one of the criticisms and thought it rather ridiculous. It is far better to go without work than to work for a dishonorable company. I don't speak from ignorance...

Heidi said...

We'll Pray that you can soon find work. We so understand the no money for bills or food. It is better now but not great yet. God will be with you and Guide you to the right job..

Fwren said...

Will pray for you ~

ko3 said...

Praying

lisa said...

praying that God brings the right position for you. He will reveal it in His time. It's the waiting that is soooo hard. I'm so glad R was praying for you that day...you could have found yourself in a bad situation! A good reminder to be a faithful pray-er for my hubby!
Blessings,