Monday, February 18, 2008

Experiential Perfection?

__________________________________________________
"Every church has problems. So you might as well stay where you're at and work with what you've got"

"There's no such thing as a perfect church. So you might as well quit looking."

"Anywhere you have people you'll have personality clashes."

"[Insert specific church name] isn't the 'answer'."

You know what, people. I'm getting a little weary of all the prattle. Why does everyone think a decision to change where one gathers for worship and fellowship is automatically an attempt to discard baggage and experience perfection? Why is 'perfection' the sought after misnomer? Shouldn't we be seeking an environment where we can honestly worship Jesus Christ. Shouldn't our seeking be less about perfection and more about open, honest worship? Shouldn't we focus less on eliminating personality conflicts and more on honest handling of God's written word?

Don't we have our focus wrong? Shouldn't we adjust?
__________________________________________________

6 comments:

Sam Garber said...

There's nobody who doesn't have problems with the church, because there's sin in the church. But there's no other place to be a Christian except the church. There's sin in the local bank. There's sin in the grocery stores. I really don't understand this naïve criticism of the institution. I really don't get it.

Frederick von Hugel said the institution of the church is like the bark on the tree. There's no life in the bark. It's dead wood. But it protects the life of the tree within. And the tree grows and grows and grows and grows. If you take the bark off, it's prone to disease, dehydration, death.

So, yes, the church is dead but it protects something alive. And when you try to have a church without bark, it doesn't last long. It disappears, gets sick, and it's prone to all kinds of disease, heresy, and narcissism.

In my writing, I hope to recover a sense of the reality of congregation—what it is. It's a gift of the Holy Spirit. Why are we always idealizing what the Holy Spirit doesn't idealize? There's no idealization of the church in the Bible—none. We've got two thousand years of history now. Why are we so dumb? - Eugene Peterson

Anonymous said...

I'll have to agree with you. I'm weary of those very same "canned" replies.
I know there is no perfect church this side of heaven. I'm not looking for a perfect church. I just want to be able to worship my Lord openly, and not live my life in fear. I'm beyond the point of caring about rejection and shunning. I'm tired of living this way.
Jesus is THE WAY, THE TRUTH, and THE LIFE. I choose to follow HIM.

Anonymous said...

Great comment Sam and also anymonous. A hearty AMEN to both! I like that thought of the church being the dead bark around the Spirit it houses. You are so right A Son of the Father, Our salvation isn't in any church. But we do need to fellowship where we are being fed and have freedom to follow as the Spirit leds. Jesus is the ONLY way!

Anonymous said...

A great post, Son of the Father!!!

Anonymous said...

I sense....anonymity.

nursenatty said...

The church of The Living God is His Bride!!
When Jesus returns, He will not be looking for the bark of a tree!!!!!

The Church is ALIVE!!
My Jesus is ALIVE!!!

Happy Easter!!

BTW, God is not the author of contention!
Therefore, I submit to all, that so-called "Personality Clashes" are in reality "Carnality Clashes"!!
The personality God gave me never makes me incompatible with another of God's Children!
The areas of my life that are not fully surrendered to Christ give opportunity to my flesh to foster "wars and fightings among you".

I refuse to use the phrase "personality clashes".
I always try to use the phrase "carnality clashes".