Saturday, May 2, 2009

New Job

__________________________________________________
I report to work at The Daily Advocate at 8 am Monday morning.

In a lot of ways this feels like my first REAL job. I have always had a previous relationship with the manager/owner prior to interviewing, some to greater degrees some to lesser degrees. Monday morning, however, I'm a stranger walking into a brand new world. I'm EXTREMELY excited at the possibilities and potential!

While the first week is considered a 'trial' week, I anticipate a fulfilling career with Brown Publishing and The Daily Advocate. As with any new position, I'm sure there will be many things which play out differently than I currently presume, but I don't expect any of these surprises to be much more than logistical. During this first week both they and I will get the opportunity to 'become acquainted'; they with me and my personality, I with them and their career opportunity. If on, or before, Friday some alarm or discomfort is realized, then neither they nor I have any further committment.

The specifics of the position (as I understand them) are really exciting to me. The position I fill will be responsible to design and format the special sections (fair book, readers choice awards, mature times, homes mag, etc). This will be done in partnership with my direct superior. I will also be responsible for securing 100% of the revenue needed to support these projects. This revenue will be received exclusively through advertisements. Simply put, I will sell advertisement spots in these special sections. I will further be responsible to get the projects prepared for print on (or before) print deadline, and establish distribution points.

Alongside the print advertisements in the special sections/projects, I will be responsible to sell advertising spots on the various pages of the Advocate website.

There is one more thing that gives this job an exciting edge that few other possibilities offered. We currently school, church, shop, live in the greater Darke County area. Now I also work in that same community! While I never thought of this as significant in our age of communication and travel, I am finding myself very, very excited to see my entire 'life' becoming intimately connected to my home community.

I guess all these little details point to one thing, our Father is a)watching, b)caring and c)in control of EVERYTHING!

Lord, thank you for another expression of your faithfulness and provision.
__________________________________________________

2 comments:

Kati said...

Awesome!

As yesterday I added yet another family to my "unemployed" prayer list, I'm quite delighted to be able to take you OFF the list!

danny2 said...

man, they would have turned ownership over to you if your resume would have just been better!!! :-)