Friday, May 15, 2009

Community

__________________________________________________
Last night I happened to hear the last 10 minutes of a message from Chip Ingram on the radio. In this time he said, 'Christians live like Christians when Christians live in community'.

I know all the proof-texts about 'one another-ing' and I don't argue against them. However this statement seems a little defeatist to me. Maybe I'm just over-reacting, but shouldn't our vertical communion be so fulfilling that we 'live like Christians' regardless of the specifics of our horizontal community?

Admittedly, my personal testimony and experience is not one of arrival, but of continual longing for deeper fellowship with Christ! My fear is blanket acceptance of this doctrine leaves me a loop hole to fall through anytime I don't 'live like a Christian'.

Thots?
__________________________________________________

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As much as i agree with you in that our communion with God is completely fulfilling, I also believe that He designed the body for a purpose. I believe he wants us to live as a community to experience in part what He has and will experiences forever in Himself (the Trinity). Fellowship. Love. Service. Trust. It's part of the deal. It has nothing to do with salvation, but everything to do with experience. As we experience fellowship with believers (in whom Jesus is living) we experience, to some degree, fellowship with God.