Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Rick Warren's Invocation

__________________________________________________
I've scanned the blogs this morning thinking surely someone was discussing Rick Warren's invocation, but I didn't find it at a quick glance. Through the years I've been hard on Rick, and I'm admittedly not his best fan, but I was pleasantly surprised at his boldness. Granted, Rick's invocation wasn't profound or theologically top-heavy, but it was clearly prayed to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel in the name of Jesus who taught us to pray, 'Our Father who is in heaven............'

I was impressed.
__________________________________________________

7 comments:

Arlene said...

Amen.
I especially appreciated the Rev. Joseph Lowery's Prayer. It touched the tender tear in me.
"We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to give back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right."


http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hkHaP9MQJsgNUOuMtZ2kT8XFAMbAD95R63C00

brother_barabbas said...

Excuse me, Arlene, but you liked that over the top 'poor me' racist rhetoric?

I'd rather not allow this post to digress to that point.

danny2 said...

arlene has to be kidding.

i've gone back and forth on warren's prayer. it certainly was better than others. as you said, he clearly was praying to our God. however, i would have loved to have heard the gospel clearly in his prayer (yes, i think pastors should take advantage of public prayer as an opportunity to preach), and i also found "in the name of Jesus, who changed MY life" to be a bit escapist. it argues to pragmatism and allows room for pluralism, rather than pointing to the Lordship of Christ.

i would have preferred,

In the name of Jesus, who [insert full gospel presentation here on the person/work of Jesus]...

or, In the name of Jesus Christ, to whom every knee should bow and every tongue will confess is Lord to the glory of God the Father...

but that's also the benefit of hindsight.

brother_barabbas said...

I agree Danny, I have a few 'I would have preferred's' myself; however I was surprised at what WAS there.

Sam Garber said...

How about: "God be merciful to me, an American."

Sam Garber said...

Oh Lord, our Lord, who's name is the Lord, on this Lord's day morning Lord, may thy name Lord be exalted Lord. AAAAaaaamen.

danny2 said...

upon further review, it may have been more troubling than we thought