Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Accurate Representation

__________________________________________________
On my first sales call of the day I was informed, in no uncertain terms, that this particular business would NOT do business with my newspaper. When I politely asked why he replied, 'They wouldn't listen to me at a Rescue Squad meeting in the late 70's and I told them I'd never do business with them again.' 'Sir,' I assured him, 'We have an entirely different staff, management and ownership than we did in the 70's.' At this juncture he pointed to the door and demanded I leave. As I approached the door he stated (forcefully), 'My word sticks for the rest of my life'. Those things just happen when you're in sales.

As I pondered this event I wondered how often we betray Christ's message and have a '30 yr (negative) impact' on the gospel in people's life. Later, possibly even years later, someone else attempts to share the good news of Jesus' forgiveness and acceptance with the individual and receives a response similar to the response I received today. Do you accurately represent Christ? Do I? In my words? actions? re-actions? thoughts?
__________________________________________________

No comments: